Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Hurry up school bell !

I know it isn't new to wish for the start of school, but it is new for me.

This is my first foray as a stay-at-home mom.

Don't get me wrong. I love this stint. It is great hanging out at home with my kids. I almost even quasi-relaxed. Sorta kinda. A little. I don't fly off the handle very time they do, only most of the time.

But still, if there was a God of the School Bells, I would kneel to its altar. I miss having eight or so hours of unadulerated time all to myself, time to squander, time to burn, time to utilize, in which to make money, with which to job hunt, straight time, time and a half, time is my time and is yours is captured...

It's a luxury, not answering to anyone, and if you are a mom, no matter how you slice it, you are answering to the kids. Making them a meal, cleaning a kitchen, making sure they are drinking enough, filling a water bottle before a football practice, packing an apple and a granola bar, checking to make sure their socks aren't sliding into their cleats. With my daughter, is she wearing make-up, is it too much, is it smudged, what else does she have on, does she a water bottle. And these are just a few items on the checklist before you leave the house.

If they are home, what are they doing, are they texting, what are they texting, who are they texting, how long have they been on the computer, X-box360, cell phone. Have they read today? How is their homework coming? Have they done their chores? Well? Do they understand the math?

Are they being nice to each other? Did they say please or thank you? Did you say "suck" ? I don't care if everyone else is saying it !

Do they get enough allowance? What should they be allowed to spend it on? Should they have a play date today or spend more time at home? Do they need more new clothes for school? Do they have all their school supplies? Are they eating enough vegetables?

How do I get him/ her to use a more polite tone with me? Where did they get that temper from?

Am I too hard on myself?

I need a break !

This is hard work ! And I have worked a lot. These are the toughest bosses I have ever had. I am ready for them to leave me alone -- for a few hours a day, thank you.

So I can miss them like crazy and wish they were home.

No comments:

Post a Comment